Here we want to read your Ideas and Wishes to Garys Cookbook 3.X.x Of course also to everything around the Cookbook as the extensions. We need your Ideas to improve this component in a from you desired direction. The Ideas from the old thread are moved to this new Subforum. In this subforum it is easier to discuss and comment the ideas. Please open a new thread for each idea.Questions to the actual versions of course are written in the normal Forum as usual.

Shopping list

• rotte2
  • Autor
  • Besucher
  • Besucher
13 Jahre 8 Monate her #3849 von rotte2
Shopping list wurde erstellt von rotte2
A great improvement would be to add recipes to a shopping list - f.ex. you add recipes for a whole week, and then you print the plan (and put it somewhere in the kitchen) and the shopping list (which you give to your wife :laugh: )

Regards
Michael

Bitte Anmelden um der Konversation beizutreten.

Mehr
13 Jahre 8 Monate her #3850 von over
over antwortete auf Aw: Shopping list
Thanks Michael for the support,

this is what I am aiming to but it is still discussed within the team.

The problem is how to generelise the ingredients if you allow users to enter the recipes. The ingredient names, quantities and the unit is NOT controlled by the program. So how to calculate 1 egg, 1/2 an egg, 1.5 eggs, a small egg and a large egg makes a problem.

To make this to controlled fields would be very, very complicated. Especially as we want to support multilingual sites. As i say: a teaspoon in one country is NOT equal to a teaspoon in another.

If you keep the ingredientlist to the administrator it might be possibel. Thats why the parameters with v 3.0.16 will be slightly changed to allow the ingredient list in the backend and only the free editorfield in the frontend. In 3.0.15 called new and old.

over

• rotte2
  • Autor
  • Besucher
  • Besucher
13 Jahre 7 Monate her #3887 von rotte2
rotte2 antwortete auf Re:Aw: Shopping list
Thanks for your quick reply, Over.

I can see the challenge with regard to your data model - and I think it would be a great improvement to the Cookbook, if the quantities are controlled by the program (i.e teaspoon is actually the same in German, Spanish and Danish) - but it requires that your data model can handle this.

But that said, I don't think you have to be that ambitious regarding the shopping list. If you can choose recipes for Monday..Sunday, then just present the list (sorted alphabetically). Then I would have to add "1 egg, 3 eggs and 2 eggs" myself, when I am at the supermarket - but that's absolutely fine with me and a great improvement. At least for a version 0.1 of the shopping list feature :)
In the future the ingredients could be added, perhaps sorted in categories (f.ex. dairies are listed together so you don't have to run across through the supermarket 5 times :) )

Regards
Michael

Mehr
13 Jahre 7 Monate her #3889 von over
over antwortete auf Re:Aw: Shopping list
Hi rotte2,

We are here open for suggestions. Some comments.

I can see the challenge with regard to your data model - and I think it would be a great improvement to the Cookbook, if the quantities are controlled by the program (i.e teaspoon is actually the same in German, Spanish and Danish) - but it requires that your data model can handle this.

Well, it has somewhat to do with the data model - the tables needed for controlled input of quantity and ingredients are not there at this moment. But this is not the main issue. You say a teaspoon is always a teaspoon and I would say no if you don't mean the word but the quantity. The size of the teaspoons are defined different in different countries. If you know the old Meal-Master format this is exactly definded originally for the US. But this component should cover at least most of the world. i.e. if you want to calculate a teaspoon into ml (or why not even g Are you bying salt in l or kg? Do you use the same as ingredient quantity? No teaspoon?) you need a couple of maintainable tables not very easy to understand. They should also be multilingual. At first maintained in the language for the Joomla! installation if you do not decide having a fixed US, german, spanish or even danish view of this world. I guess you wouldn't need any ounces or barrels in your system. And it should be in your language or somehow translated. How? Joomla! languagefiles? Joom!fish?
There are more than this as I wrote about the eggs. :silly:

But that said, I don't think you have to be that ambitious regarding the shopping list. If you can choose recipes for Monday..Sunday, then just present the list (sorted alphabetically). Then I would have to add "1 egg, 3 eggs and 2 eggs" myself, when I am at the supermarket - but that's absolutely fine with me and a great improvement. At least for a version 0.1 of the shopping list feature :)
In the future the ingredients could be added, perhaps sorted in categories (f.ex. dairies are listed together so you don't have to run across through the supermarket 5 times :) )

This could be a good idea. To maintain a table to relate ingredients to a ingredient category. The ingredients could be controlled by this table. But the problem mentioned above is also here involved. Every installation had to maintain their own table. A lot of work! A general table for all the world wouldn't be possible I think. The list would be unlimited long and not usefull by the recipe entry. And also a translation had to be done.

So you see. It's not that easy even if you reduce the ambition.

So I think, what could be done as a first step would be to just print one recipe including only the ingredients calculated with a chosen number of portions. When printing a list for the week Mon to Sun I guess you need a portion number per meal. Well let's also skip the calculation. just print a list with the recipes choosen, with the number of portions and the ingredients according to the recipe data. So now we are almost down to a not very useful list aren't we.

You have to do most jobb yourself Or we do it the oldfashioned way. Write some notes (if on MS Win maybe with the Desktop notes) about menu of the week with the help of the Joomla! Cookbook and at the same time write down the needed ingredients in a shoppinglist. Mostly we know what we already have at home.

And you could leave your computer for a couple of minutes, have a cool and let your wife fix it all in seconds. :woohoo:

over

Mehr
13 Jahre 7 Monate her #3890 von over
Try to reactivate the Pfad. It disappeared after a new post from me.

Michael - It was/is not visible in the forum. I found it under Recent discussions.

Lets see if this works.

Mehr
13 Jahre 7 Monate her #3891 von over
This is what I tried to submit:

Hi,

Just want to add how I solve it for the moment.At this moment only on a local system.

I enter all recipe ingredients in the "editor" field mostly by copy/paste from some electronic files. Scanned files, textfiles, other lokal progams or sometimes from the web. Thereafter I only enter those ingredients I need for a shopping list into the ingredient list, no salt, no pepper, no water aso. The quantities, measurements and ingredients according to my own personal norm. No fried eggs, no hacked parsley. Even 1000 g salt is allowed for me when it's relevant. e.g for "In salt baked" salmon.

Later I'll then be able to print the list I need. In the frontend I show the html formatted ingredients. There you'll find my fried eggs, hacked parsley, chopped almond. Grouped ingedients eg. Sauce, Dressing .... With all comments about alternatives. - "You may use other green herbs instead of parsley, cob instead of almond and why not try trout instead of salmon? It's delicious." -

But let's not skip the idea of a general useful shopping list.

This is just my own approach for the moment.

I've tried the meal-master method. I still have it and partly use it in a german version. As I'm not a german I have some work arounds here and there to enter recipes from my own country. Germans do not have any ks or kkp aso. For my german recipes is everything ok. But a shoppinglist isn't possible anymore because of my work arounds. It would be if I only entered recipes according to the german "recipe norm"

over

Ladezeit der Seite: 0.236 Sekunden