Here we want to read your Ideas and Wishes to Garys Cookbook on Joomla! 1.6 - 2.5 Of course also to everything around the Cookbook as the extensions. We need your Ideas to improve this component in a from you desired direction. Generell Questions abot Joomla! are also welcome if the may interest any cookbook user. Please open a new thread for each idea.Questions to the actual versions of course are written in the normal Forum as usual.

Gary's Cookbook and the Joomla! development path.

Mehr
12 Jahre 7 Monate her #4424 von over
As you may know, we are completely rewriting the Cookbook for Joomla! 1.6+. We now have decided not to release a stable version until Joomla! version 2.5 is available. (The version number 1.8 has changed to 2.5)

Some other important extensions have converted the existing 1.5 versions to run on Joomla! 1.6+. Mostly built on the old programcode with fixes for joomla. Probably because the Joomla! programming environment isn't yet stabilised.

Here our understanding of the development path.

This is a little confusing but let's start with the Joomla 3.x series.
3.0 will be the version with major changes and additions. 3.1/3.2/3.3/3.4 will be bug fixes and minor changes. 3.5 will be the long term supported stable version.

This is not completly true for the current 2.x series. You have to read versions 1.6/1.7/2.5 as the 2.x series!
1.6 included a lot of changes from 1.5
1.7 also included major changes to 1.6
2.5 will also include changes. How important at least we do not know. However this version will be a long term supported "stable" version as the above mentioned 3.5 version.

I hope this helps your understanding of the Joomla future.

To decide on upgrading a Joomla! 1.5 site this article may help.

Article on Joomla Magazine

Bitte Anmelden um der Konversation beizutreten.

• kso77
  • Besucher
  • Besucher
12 Jahre 7 Monate her #4426 von kso77
Is it possible to have an unstable release? :)

Mehr
12 Jahre 7 Monate her #4427 von over
Well kso77 even if you don't believe it. It's possible with unstable releases. :) In short you'll never find a stable program or IT system. ;) You'll find bugs until the end of the physical lifetime.

But seriously, this is only supposted to be a hint to the Joomla development paths. If you want to use stable for a release with major changes it's up to you. I don't,

• kso77
  • Besucher
  • Besucher
12 Jahre 7 Monate her - 12 Jahre 7 Monate her #4433 von kso77
Sorry, I have formed my sentence in a wrong way. You wrote, you will publish the stable release after Yoomla 2.5 is released. Is it possible to get (somewhere) an unstable release which runs with Joomla 1.6/1.7?

I want to create I new site with your extensions. I think, it'll be easier to create the site on Joomla 1.7 with unstable GC (with minor issues) and next to upgrade to 2.5 than to create the site on Joomla 1.5 with stable GC and next to upgrade it to Joomla 2.5
Letzte Änderung: 12 Jahre 7 Monate her von kso77.

Mehr
12 Jahre 7 Monate her #4436 von over
Yes, I missunderstood your sentence to beeing a comment on the text and not a question. I personally do not really like the word stable about a version but it is generally used as a version after testversions as alpha and beta.

Sorry, there is and will be no version available for J! 1.7 that you could use on a live site.

There will be some alpha and beta versions available before a final release but not for a live site. We have to know more about Joomla! 2.5 and the migration possibilities before setting any dates.

You should read my link to Joomla Magazine and other informations to find out if you should start with Joomla 1.7 or Joomla 1.5. If you choose to start with Joomla 1.5 you should check if your extensions will be available in a Joomla 2.5 native version and that you will be able to migrate the data. If you choose to start with Joomla 1.7 first check that the extensions you want to use are available and then the same chacks as with 1.5. In both cases you'll have to upgrade within less than a year if you want to use supported versions.

I would say. It's not a very easy decision.

Regards
over

• Rali
  • Besucher
  • Besucher
12 Jahre 2 Monate her #4583 von Rali
Hi,

Today I saw that Joomla 2.5 is available now. Will Garyscookbook have a new version for Joomla 2.5 soon?

Rali

Moderatoren: Merling
Ladezeit der Seite: 0.264 Sekunden